Learn the hot points of discussion from the most recent Brookfield R-3 Board of Education meeting.
1. The schedule of early-outs for the coming school year was approved by a 5-1 margin, with Dennis Fletcher as the dissenting vote. Fletcher had noted during the discussion that he wondered if one day each month would be better for the staff than a half-day each week. The motion and second came from Marc Amer and Toni Fay, respectively.
2. Remodeling in the District is nearing completion from the summer break. The renovations on the high school classrooms are nearly completed. The District awaits a bid on repairing a section of guttering. A door in the Early Childhood Center is set for a replacement, and the high school gym floor is being resurfaced. The volleyball court markings and post holes will be added soon as well.
3. In the monthly Legislative Update, Superintendent Dr. Paul Barger discussed Governor Jay Nixon’s withholding of monies from education pending certain vetoes not being overturned in the veto session of the Legislature. If the monies are not returned, the District would only be operating at 93 percent of the Foundation Formula’s funding. The budget for the coming school year is scheduled at 96 percent of the Formula.
4. A pair of new Elementary teachers were approved in Closed Session. The District hired Melissa Bohannon and Cassy Carpenter for the coming school year.
5. The Regular Session of the Brookfield R-3 Board of Education for August has been moved from August 19 to August 26 at 5:30 p.m. This move was made to avoid a conflict with Back to School Night in the District.