A fire broke out at a home in Brookfield on East Prairie Street last Friday afternoon. Brookfield Fire Department said a common culprit was most likely the reason.

“It was determined that the fire most likely was caused by an electric space heater,” said Chief Larry Flynn.

Flynn said the owner of the home was taking a shower when she smelled smoke. Upon exiting the bathtub, she noticed the imminent danger and alerted authorities.

“She called the fire department when she noticed the seal around the bathroom door was melted,” said Flynn.

Brookfield Fire Department worked for approximately two hours before putting out the fire completely. Flynn said no one was hurt.

“She’s with relatives now,” he said.